Not enough businesses understand the importance of customer reviews. It feels a bit awkward sometimes to ask for a review, but you would be surprised how easy it is to obtain one.
I am guilty of not asking enough, or simply just forgetting completely. But yesterday I sent 9 emails requesting a review. Within 24 hours I have six new 5-star reviews and three on the way.
These reviews will sell my services better than I ever could myself. They will increase my Google rankings in search results (because I sent them a link to leave the review on Google My Business) and they will give me credibility and instil trust in people who have never worked with me before. That is something that money can’t buy.
- 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations
- More positive reviews result in more sales – consumers read a minimum of 10 reviews before feeling confident in making a decision
- Higher reviews equal higher ranking – if you use Google My Business (and you should!), Google rewards businesses that have frequent positive reviews and has confirmed that they are a local SEO ranking factor
- It’s free advertising for your business – they don’t cost you anything, but they will contribute to your revenue
- It will help you stand-out against your competition
So, if you are lacking in reviews simply because you don’t ask – get asking! Here’s some tips on how:
- Create a standard email or text that you can send out easily once someone has worked with you or bought your products – the easier you make it for yourself, the more likely that YOU will do it
- Send them a link to where you would like them to leave the review (Google My Business link if possible). The easier you make it for them, the more likely that THEY will do it
- Emphasise how quick and easy it is to do – tell them that you only need a couple of sentences
- Utilise your established audiences – post a screenshot of your best review on social media and ask customers to leave their own feedback
- Always respond to reviews – it shows that you are listening to customer feedback. This applies even if the review is negative – responding promptly and politely to negative feedback and resolving the issue can often result in changing the negative review to a positive one
Never underestimate the importance of reviews, for your business and your potential customers. There are very few free tools out there that will be this effective in helping to grow your business.